Message from Exter City Council regarding proposals for City Council Arts & Events.
The following is a message from Victoria Hatfield, Economy & Enterprise Manager, inviting comment from ECP members:
Val Wilson, Exeter City Council's City Arts & Events Manager is retiring at the end of March 2018, which will be a great loss to the City Council and especially Exeter. Over the previous couple of years Val has managed and delivered two major events that has had a significant impact on the city, as well as continuing with the day job in supporting the arts community within and surrounding Exeter….a commendable achievement.
Val’s retirement is providing Exeter City Council with an opportunity to re-look at how we deliver / manage / co-ordinate arts, culture and events across the city. The proposal, which would be implemented March 2018 is:
- The management of the team going forward will come under Jon-Paul Hedge (the City Council's Strategic Director for Communications & Marketing), as this ties in with the purpose he is overseeing - ‘provide great things to see and do’
- Funding of £20,000 per year for two years will be provided to the Exeter Cultural Partnership to enable it to take on the strategic leadership of arts across the city
- As of 1 April 2018, the post of City Arts & Events Manager is amended to Events Manager and will act as a facilitator, enabler and co-ordinator of events across the city to avoid duplication of events, to ensure that there is a full calendar of events across the city and to assist event organiser to expand existing events and to attract new events to the city
- The process of applying for Exeter City Council Core Arts Grants and Small Arts Grants will remain unchanged
- Events grants will be made available to help attract new events to the city and or to expand existing events (one off pump priming)
- The awarding of the above grants will be administered by a member of Jon-Pauls’ team. A small panel, with an independent representative from the Exeter Cultural Partnership, will be set up to determine the awarding of the above grants
- The Arts & Events Officer post is to be made redundant due to the above changes taking place
The job description for the new Events Manager post is attached here:
City Council Events Manager job description
If you would like to comment on the way forward for the service, could you please do so to Victoria at the City Council by FRIDAY 28 JULY 2017, so these can be incorporated into proposals going forward.
If you would like to talk in more detail regarding the above proposal, please email: email@example.com or telephone her on 01392 265104.